Mega Mind

Cambrian College -Hanson Campus

Why Cambrian College -Hanson Campus ?

  • Cambrian education is the total package that offers practical, hands-on experience in every program.
  • Expert Faculty
  • College offers the in-school portion for a variety of apprenticeship programs
  • Credits for Academic and Skill Achievements

Why do I have to take General Education courses?

General Education courses are a requirement of the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities (MTCU) that all Colleges of Arts and Technology (CAAT) in Ontario must meet. The purpose of general education is to ensure graduates of college programs are citizens who can work and adapt to Canada’s changing and diverse society. General Education courses are intended to encourage you to explore a broad range of personal and societal topics and to develop self-understanding as well as critical thinking, problem solving and communication skills. General Education courses are organized into themes: Arts in Society, Civic Life, Social and Cultural Understanding, Personal Understanding as well as Science and Technology.

But General Education courses have nothing to do with my program or future career?

Yes and no. It is true that a General Education course will not give you vocational skills. In order to qualify as a General Education course, a course must be “clearly distinct” or separate from the vocational learning outcomes for your program. However, General Education courses will help you in your future vocation in that they are intended to help you meet the changing demands of working and living in Canada’s ever-changing and diverse society. Depending on the course, a General Education course may promote self-understanding and may help develop critical thinking, problem solving and/or communication skills.

How many General Education courses do I need to take?

The number of courses varies. One year certificate programs do not require students to take General Education courses. However, a program may have a general education requirement in order to help students create pathways to other diploma programs. All two- and three-year diploma and advanced diploma programs at Cambrian require students to take three General Education elective courses.

What is the difference between a prescribed or mandated General Education course and an elective?

Mandated General Education courses are courses selected by a student’s program or school and all students within the program must take it as one of their General Education course requirements. Electives are courses from an approved pool of General Education courses and students are free to choose whichever course they find of interest.

How do I find out if any of my previous academic courses meet my program’s General Education requirements?

If you think you have taken courses that meet the criteria for exemption, then you are encouraged to complete a General Education Exemption form. To complete the application process, please contact 8882255001

What happens if I fail a General Education course?

General Education courses are required courses, just like core program courses. Students who do not successfully meet their program’s General Education requirements will not graduate. It is a student’s responsibility to ensure that the General Education components of his/her program are completed. If you failed a General Education course you can either take a course through Continuing Education (at your own expense) or speak to your program coordinator about the possibility of fitting a General Education course into your timetable. In the event that you decide to take a Cambrian College course, your program coordinator will likely suggest you speak to the General Education coordinator to see which course offerings fit into your schedule.

Students Also Prefer - Free Education In Germany


Accreditation & Association